Friday, December 7, 2007

Travel: Products for Travlers

The Targus/iGO power adaptor is on sale at J&R for $40. If you don't need to use it in a car, or already have an inverter this has you pretty much covered. When the Radio Shack near us went out of business I picked up two reconditioned iGOs everywheres (see picture at right). These feature the car cord and thus handle everything. This, plus a tip for my cell phone, video camera, digital camera and I can charge anything anywhere. I need to check the power efficiency. If someone posts a comment telling me to do so, I will give it a check.


Another way cool travel product is this rechargable USB battery. Its available from a variety of sources Radio Shack, Lemar, Proporta. Of interest the Proporta version only comes in white (bummer) but has a much higher 3400mah rating than the other two which are closer to 2100mah. Add to this that Proporta shipping (from the UK) is cheaper than US shipping on either of the other products, they give you tea, and you get a good warantee I say go with Proporta. Oh, did I mention that they don't overcharge you on the adaptor tips! That said I bought the Radio Shack version before I realized that they didn't have the same capacity.
In either case these will recharge anything you have a USB charging cable for (cool). It has saved me a couple of times when my Palm E2 ran out of power.


Another cool product that is waiting for me in Chicago, so I have not tested it yet. Is the Energizer on the left. With 4000mah and the ability to work as an inverter or provide 110 for other devices and two usb charger ports this should be way cool.
Now one concern with all of these is the cost of keeping them charged. My experience with Lion has been pretty positive. I recharge these about once a month and they seem to stay well topped up. However, none of these products is likely to be particularly efficient.

No comments: